Newspaper Archive of
The Julian News
Julian , California
April 13, 2011     The Julian News
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
April 13, 2011

Newspaper Archive of The Julian News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

April 13, 2011 ApriL 3Or, JO00N tJS Fr our 2Ncl ANNUAL .sPr,N00I FL00N00I&apos; OUL IAN & SUPPLY t FEED o _ 290, Washington Street 760-765-1gig Mon-Fn 8:30 to 5:00 and Sat 9:00 to 5:00 CLOSED on Sunday II POPE TREE SERVICE II All Your Tree Service Needs Commercial Oak and Pine our Specialty CA. State License #7o4192 Fully Insured for Your Protection Shelter Valley Honors Its" Chief by, photo courtesy Mark Boland 3iii'i!iiiilS!ii'!iS .... x} On March 23, 2011, Shelter Valley said goodbye to long time resident, Ted Anthony Mayors, Jr.,known by many as "Tony". He was a volunteer on the Shelter Valley Volunteer Fire Department from 1997-2010. He started as a Volunteer Firefighter and worked his way up to Chief, a position he held for several years. Tony was also involved as a board member in the Shelter Valley Kids Club and various functions in the Shelter Valley Citizen's Corporation. He was an all around good friend to many who knew him. His memorial was held at the Fire Station, Saturday April 2, 2011 and was attended by over 100 friends, family members and fellow Firefighters. Volunteer Fire Companies from around San Diego's back country, as well as Cal Fire and Federal Fire, joined in paying tribute to Tony. We were sorry to see him go, he will be missed! Thoughts by Michele Harvey What A Week As I write this column, I am in a lot of physical pain. We all know that the recession continues and the financial woes of many of us also continue, rm not here to whine, though I can excel at whining. Like many people, and I think particularly, many women; I internalize my stress. That's where this column begins. About twenty-five years ago I stressed so much that I ended up with Colitis. Colitis is a health problem that is often stress induced. It can also be caused by food poisoning, Irritable Bowel Syndrome or one of several diseases. The short description of symptoms is that when a colitis attack occurs, at least in me, the large intestine (colon) inflames causing any food within it to shoot out of my body by what ever means it finds. The food may be completely undigested and painful as it exits. Abdominal bloating and pain occur; for me this means that I feel like I have a hot branding iron inside of me. I get fevered and feel sweat rolling off my head and down the back of my neck as I get chills. My pulse gets really fast as my blood pressure drops dramatically. All of this pain causes me to pass out. Sometimes I pass out without the pain, always with sufficient warning for me to get safe before collapsing. Except this last time. Most nights I read in bed before going to sleep. Last Thursday night I finished reading, turned out the light, then laid in bed listening to my stomach rumble. The rumbling grew in speed and volume. That much rumbling is never a sign of anything good happening in my body. Within thirty minutes, I felt extreme abdominal pain that frightened me. I managed to go to the bathroom, wash my hands and then I got a towel to lie on my bed just in case I would have further problems. Once I settled back in bed, I felt my pulse quicken. Not good. My breathing became very shallow at the same time. I woke my husband Mike up to take me back to the bathroom. At that time I felt to weak to go without assistance. As we nearedthe bathroom, I fainted and he says I slipped through his arms. Twice. The second time I slipped, I hit my knee on the doorway and though I'm was soon certain that I didn't break my kneecap or anything else, I really hurt. The inside of my leg right next to my kneecap didn't swell much, but I felt a lot of pain there. When I rubbed the spot the pain didn't go away, but the effort made me feel better because I' was doing something to help myself. Friday I woke up feeling okay until I tried to maneuver my pain ridden knee out of bed. Mike and I sleep on a water bed which sits higher than many other beds. It's not always easy for me, a short person, to get out of bed, and Friday morning was a good example of the problems I encounter just trying to rise and shine. I tried to get my leg over the edge of the bed and put my right foot on the floor. I tried three or four times, gave up for awhile and cried while feeling sorry for myself. Then I thought about people who go through this daily. I thought about people who endure much worse pain every hour of their lives. Those thoughts sure made me feel like a wimp. With one more effort, I got my foot onto the floor and managed to walk about ten feet. Success, though painful, was sweet indeed. The rest of Friday I slept, read and walked the few feet from my bed to my bathroom and around my bed, using a cane, so my leg and knee wouldn't lock up. The exercise wore me out and it was a very good worn out. Some time during the day I felt a swelling along my jawbone, but with a few doses of aspiring it didn't cause major problems. Dental problems added to the problems I already had didn't seem like a big deal. Just more stuff to deal with. Mike brought dinner home from the Chamber of Commerce installation dinner and we ate together on our bed. Saturday was a very good day for me. I woke up refreshed and my leg wasn't very stiff. More exercise and I was ready to go to dinner at Wynola Pizza. Folding Mr. Lincoln was the band that played that night. They are one of our favorites. We like to support, Harry, his wife Nancy and the rest of their musicians. We enjoyed the music, the food and the company of friends. I was feeling very mobile walking around with crutches and thought I was progressing really rapidly. Though we had a very good time, I tired and we left an hour earlier than usual. I got too excited, too quick. When we got home, I immediately went to bed. I had more intestinal problems that came on really fast, then blood pressure and pulse rate issues. Once I got those handled with slow and even breathing; I began to itch. My hands and forearms itched like crazy. It took me awhile to figure out that I had an allergic reaction to something. We think it was to a sweater I wore that evening, I'd never worn it before. So I took a "Benedyr'. I'm not big on taking pills for every little problem I have, but I was really grateful that we had a bottle of "Benedryl" in the bathroom cabinet. In less than an hour I was comfortably asleep. No itching Sunday morning. My knee was less stiff. My entire leg felt much better. I had some scary nights this past week. Fainting because of stress, bashing my knee into a doorway, racing pulse rates, really low blood pressure, swollen jaw, allergic reaction. Though I spent most of that time in bed reading and sleeping; I still seemed to stay very busy. My story is titled "What a week". Though the time involved was actually just a few days, in some ways it seemed like a week. My pain lessens each day and will probably be next to nothing soon. Having gone through just a few days of pain and some surprising problems; I can't begin to comprehend how people find the courage to deal with pain and disabilities for their entire lives. I admire them for waking up each day and doing what they can to live their lives. These are my thoughts. Services Held For Paityn Paityn Alaine Dawson-Mims March 1,2011 -March 28, 2011 Paityn Alaine Dawson-Mims treasured daughter of Sara Dawson Flores and Christopher David Mims, beloved sister of True Dawson. Paityn is a cherished niece to Lacey Dawson Berry, Brittany Dawson, Amy Flores and Brandy Mims, a beautiful granddaughter to Pam Dawson, Sharon Mims, Vickie Taylor and Roy Mims. Born March 01, 2011, at 7:26 pm weighing 81b 7oz at Pomerado Hospital, in Poway, CA, she died peacefully beside her mother and father's side on Monday March 28, 2011. A beautiful baby girl who touched so many lives in such a brief amount of time. You will be forever missed and loved. Services were held Monday April 11 at the Julian Pioneer Cemetery with a celebration of life following at the Julian Meadow View Inn. The Julian News 5 n at 6:30 BgN(:O at 7:00 Snacks Refreshments Bake Sale $20 per person > Drawings for Gift Baskets > > 1st Prize (most BUNCO's) = $100 > 2nd Prize (most wins) = SSO > 3rd Prize (most losses) = $25 > Reservations/information > Rose Mary - 760 765 4853 > If You Don't Know How To Play, We'll Teach You ! > > A Benefit for Saint Elizabeth 0f Hungary Catholic Church > Religious Education Program Classroom Building Fund Beer. Wine. Liquor Dry Cleaning Lotto. Scratchers I Full Service "Best in the County" Meat Department U.S.D.A. Choice Bee[ Buffalo Meat Special and Holiday Orders, Cut to your Specifications OPEN DAILY 6a.m. TO 8p.m. ...... ' 5, ...... <:[] ............. : ....... 1 BUl Pay UJI: o..,w. Unique and ( ld ffa0000hionedl Collectib :s Gifts Local Music Wall Art Candles 00'oaps in Wynola Farms Marketplace 4470 Highway 78 o