Newspaper Archive of
The Julian News
Julian , California
June 16, 2010     The Julian News
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 16, 2010

Newspaper Archive of The Julian News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

June 16, 2010 I: Checking Savings Home Equity Business Banking ~2033 Main St., Julian I 765*2765 Member ED C Rabobank LUERS & DYER, CPAs, LLP CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS Income Tax and Accounttn$~ Full Service Firm R~c'g tuo#, CPA J~tl Dy~ CPA M~rt I)~ts~ in "fi|xat k~a Personal attention to your special needs Wyno .la Center. 4367 Hwy. 78, Suite 112 P,O, Box 1934 * Julian, CA 92036 Tel: 760 765-0343 Fax: 760 765-0150 Email: Thursday, June 17 at 3:30 PM. Mango and Dango will perform amazing acrobatics, balancing acts, and chair stacking right before your eyes! These are international performers that are guaranteed to please all ages. 4th of July BBQ Tickets On Sale The American Legion Post 468 is now selling tickets for this years Deep Pit BBQ at the Legion Hall. Adults are $10, children under 10 are $5. It follows the parade and includes dancing, a raffle, bake sale and prize drawings into the evening. Book Signing By Local Author At Book House This is another chance to purchase David Lewis' fabulous historic book about the Julian Cemetery and the Julian Pioneer's who are buried there and get it signed too. The proceeds from the sale of this book will go towards the upkeep of the cemetery. David will be at the Julian Book House, 2230 Main Street in Julian on Saturday, June 19, 2010 between 1:00 and 3:00 PM. Come, have a chat with David, buy a book, have it signed and enjoy a cookie or two while you're there. Gerald "Jerry" June 8, 1927 - On May 20, just two weeks before his 83rd birthday, Gerald "Jerry" W. Cady, (MC USN, Ret.) passed away at his home with his loving family at his side. Dr. Cady was born on June 8, 1927, to Dr. Gerald and Julia (Bryant) Cady of Mason City, Iowa. He graduated from Mason City High School in 1945 and enlisted in the Navy. He attended the University of Idaho on an ROTC scholarship and after a year, transferred to Iowa State University. In 1948, he was united in marriage to Jeanne Doty of Mason City. They were married 57 years until her death in 2006. Following their marriage, W. Cady, M.D. May 20, 2010 they moved to St. Louis, Mo., where he attended Washington University Medical School. He volunteer organizations and rejoined the Navy to receive genealogy endeavors. His wife training in General Practice at supervised the building of the the Naval Hospital, San Diego, family cabin in Cuyamaca on and Orthopedic Surgery at the North Peak while he served in Naval Hospital, Oakland. Vietnam and the "Cady Cabin" He returned to the Naval became the place of treasured Hospital, San Diego, in 1964 family memories. Jerry and and became Chairman of the Jeanne were members of both Orthopedic Department until The 1st United Methodist Church his retirement in 1975. During in San Diego and The Julian this time, he proudly served United Methodist Church. He on the hospital ship, USS is preceded in death by his wife, Sanctuary in Vietnam as Chief Jeanne (Doty), and his brother, of the Orthopedic Department. Pat (Caroline). He is survived by Following his retirement, he his wife of three years Margaret joined a private practice, Smith (Farris), three sons; Glenn, Hanna, and then returned to the Orinda, Calif.; Gary (Stacy), Naval Hospital, San Diego, as San Diego, Calif.; Jim (Nancy), a civilian physician as Director Oceanside, Calif.; his sister, of the Major Joint Service. He Jean (Murray) Lawson of Mason was a devoted husband, father, City; 10 grandchildren and two and grandfather in addition to great-grandchildren. A memorial his tremendous professional service was held Thursday, May responsibilities. He was very 27, at the First United Methodist supportive of his sons' sporting Church in Mission Valley, San events and his wife's numerous Diego, CA. ]My Thoughts by Michele Harvey A Two Day Oddessy Lots of people who live in the back country work miles away from home. It's worth it to drive long distances to work when you can live in this beautiful area. However, I own a shop in Julian and my commute is four miles each way for a total of eight miles round trip to work and back home. On May 24th my son, knocking on a door, rammed his arm through a pane of glass. He sliced his arm open, severing a tendon. Our local volunteers rushed him to Palomar Medical Center by ambulance. We met him there and stayed with him while waiting for a doctor and treatment. Though it was a long wait on that Monday night; all personnel that we met and talked with were very helpful, so we brought son Robert home all stapled and bandaged, neat and clean. Dr. Daley, who treated Robert, told us to get an appointment to repair the tendon as soon as possible. Two days later I drove Robert to the hand surgeon's office in Escondido for a pre-op and paper work visit. Dr. Knutson checked the damage and also told us to get an appointment for surgery as soon as possible. We told the receptionist Robert has no job, no insurance, no savings and no money. We made an appointment for the Carlsbad surgery center for the following week, reminding them that we have no way to pay for surgery. We received a call the evening before the appointment, and were told that we have to pay the anesthesiologist $450.00 in advance. Again, we said we have no way to pay. Wednesday morning we drove to Carlsbad from Julian, waking up about five hours earlier than usual, and we arrived promptly at 5 am. About 20 minutes later the receptionist told us that the appointment had been cancelled. She asked if we could reschedule in two weeks. No; two doctors had told us to get the tendon surgery as soon as possible. Waiting two weeks was not feasible. Hmmm. Plan B. I drove to Palomar Medical Center and had Robert admitted as an emergency patient. He was told that the same surgeon from the surgery center would repair his tendon and it would be taken care of that afternoon once the doctor finished with his office patients. Just one hospital patient was scheduled ahead of Robert. Knowing I had time, I drove from Escondido to Alpine to meet with my accountant, then drove back to Escondido to pick Robert up after his surgery. No surgery. The doctor had several emergencies, so Robert had to spend the night in the hospital waiting for surgery the next morning. Robert was not pleased. He had nothing to eat or drink for nearly 24 hours. Also no tobacco was allowed on the property. After arranging for Robert to get dinner and a nicotine patch, I drove back to Julian, spent the night at home, then called Palomar Thursday morning. Robert's surgery went well, including some exploratory surgery where another damaged tendon was found and repaired. I was told that Robert made it through surgery and was back in his room. Finally, progress. I returned to Palomar, arriving at noon. He was allowed to leave after lunch, after the doctor checked him and after he got his prescriptions. We spent the afternoon watching Bonanza reruns. They didn't seem so hokey when I was a child. We drove home by way of Ramona where we picked up the prescriptions and were glad to be back in Julian. In two days, I drove over 300 miles instead of my usual eight miles per day. I drove on several freeways, which aren't on my usual route from Wynola to Julian and back. I was pleased and surprised at how calm I was driving at high speeds, getting blocked in by other vehicles and sometimes getting cut off by people who apparently needed to go faster than the rest of us. The entire time I drove all of those miles, often at speeds exceeding 60 miles per hour, my drivers' window was down because something that makes it work is broken. I got cold; I got hot; I got where I needed to go. For a person who seldom leaves the Julian area; to me those two days really did seem like some sort of Oddessy. I drove to Carlsbad, once to Alpine, twice to Escondido and did just fine. I thought I would get nervous in the heavy freeway traffic and I didn't. After those two days of driving, to get the medical care that my son needed, I actually feel better about myself. I now know that staying close to home doesn't mean I won't drive decently in the bigger world. It's a good thing to know. Not having medical insurance is frustrating and costly. Any of us may need to drive in emergency situations. Sometimes the cost is in gasoline and time. I was fortunate in that I could take time away from my business those particular days. We are all fortunate having hospitals that take people who have no insurance and no money. Hospitals that are manned by people who care no matter what a persons financial situation is. These are my thoughts. Kids Kick Butts In The Fight Tobacco Use (NAPSA)-Thousands of young people nationwide recently gathered for the 15th annual Kick Butts Day. Altogether, more than 1,000 events took place in 50 states and the District of Columbia. Sponsored by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Kick Butts Day is an annual celebration of youth leadership and activism in the fight against tobacco use. Kids are sending two powerful messages on Kick Butts Day: They want the tobacco companies to stop targeting them with marketing for cigarettes and other tobacco products, and they want elected leaders to do more to protect them from tobacco. The Campaign for Tobacco- Free Kids and other public health advocates are calling on elected officials to support proven measures to reduce tobacco use and its devastating toll. As states struggle with record budget deficits, campaign members think state leaders should increase tobacco taxes both to prevent kids from smoking and to raise revenue to balance budgets and fund critical continued on page 14 The Julian News 5 Progressively Old Fashioned In The Heart of Downtown Julian 2111 Main Street 2908 Washington Street 760-765-1212 Mon-Fri 8:30 to 6:00 and Sat 9:00 to 5:00 CLOSED on Sunday